Spongeware

True Confession:  Sometimes I slip away from the office at lunchtime and sneak into our local Salvation Army.  I have found some really wonderful gems in there.  My friend, Katie, from high school, who is a teacher and also owns her own stationery business (and has twins - beyond impressed with her energy!), recently posted about using a recipe out of a $1 cookbook she found at Goodwill.  So I know I'm not alone.  

My latest find was a big blue and white spongeware bowl for $2.50.  I've shied away from this look in the past, worried it looked too country.  And while I have no plans to amass a collection like this one below, I am finding the need to find more pieces.  It would make for a fun table on the 4th or a bowl filled with lemons would be so pretty.  Lately, I've just been making summer salads in my bowl.  I think these two images show how fresh spongeware can look without going too country.     

{via}