Mary Mary Quite Contrary

When I saw this picture of a rooftop garden in Brooklyn, it immediately brought me back to summer days in NYC.  It also makes me want to string lights in the backyard, which is so tricky since it can look so wrong so quickly.  How do some get it just right?
{via}
We've been planting hot pink geraniums, a garden of vegetables, and soon will work on climbing wall ivy, hydrangeas, etc.  We have our work cut out for us!  Doesn't Stella look so sweet here?  Last night she had a temper tantrum and screamed so loud it set off the glass break sensor on our alarm.  Sweet Child O'Mine. 
Strawberry plants for our strawberry pot...
Of course, we all want a garden just like Jane's from It's Complicated.  I was green with envy watching it (I recently saw it for the first time) and was immediately curious about it, figuring that it created a lot of chatter amongst green thumbs.  I was relieved once I read this article that explains it was the movie version of real.  Whew! 
Now I'm on the hunt for garden signs - I think these may work.  They are reusable and the white chinagraph pencil won't wash off in the rain.  I've been perusing Terrain a lot lately!   
While out in the yard, I gave the camera to Stella - here are her shots:
Have a wonderful weekend!  xo