Happy Kings Day

I shouldn't let the day slip by without acknowledging the fact that it's Kings Day, which officially kicks off the Mardi Gras season.  I grew up in a suburb of New Orleans and to this day have sweet friends of the family who send me a king cake every year.  Slightly warmed up, they are so yummy any time of the day.  My brother, who is a dentist and a health nut, makes this one exception and can eat an entire cake in one sitting!  If you've never tried one but would like to, Gambino's is a great place to order from. 
Looking at their website brings back such memories.  Growing up in New Orleans, we'd have doberge cakes all the time as our birthday cakes.  I was just wondering why I've never had it elsewhere so I looked it up.  I had no idea doberge cakes originated in New Orleans.  It's basically cake layered with dessert pudding in between (it's better than it sounds).  In 1946, Gambino's bought the recipe from the woman who created it so you know theirs is the real deal.  It's now considered the birthday cake of New Orleans. 

Mardi Gras is Tuesday, March 8, 2011.